The design of the durable office chair is according to customer satisfaction and these chairs are designed to last for a long time duration.
The office chairs use the pneumatic cylinder that can control the height of the chair. The cylinder on most of the chair falls after a few years you can buy a replacement cylinder to restore the major functions of the chairs but it is as expensive as buying a new chair.
Instead of buying a replacement cylinder for your office chair you must know how to fix a sinking office chair. To fix a sinking office chair is not a tough job you just need to follow some simple steps that you can repair the sinking chair at home easily.
The piston-cylinder controls the height of the chair by its pressurized air operation. When your office chair is new the cylinder works quite well but as the time passes almost after five the cylinder becomes faulty.
There are many reasons why the cylinder of the chair becomes faulty but the most common reason behind it that the cylinder fails due to defective seals. You can go for a cylinder replacement or call someone to fix your old chair but both of these activities require money so should be able to fix the sinking chair yourself.
This article contains a few steps that you can follow and you can know how to fix a sinking office chair easily at home and save your money.
Material required to fix sinking office chair
You need the following materials to fix a sinking office chair yourself.
- Polypropylene water pipe: You can decide the dimensions of the pipe according to your height requirement. Keep in mind that the external diameter of the pipe must be 32 mm and thickness to be 1.6 mm and length can according to the height you want for your office chair. You should select that pipe that is according to the gas strut of your chair. The internal diameter of the pipe must match the outer diameter of the strut.
- You also need some small zip ties: These ties will help you if you want to fix the permanent height of your chair.
Tools required for fixing a sinking office chair
You need the following tools to repair your office chair:
- A screwdriver to remove the screws. Sometimes you need a key or socket for this purpose also as you sometimes need to remove the backrest or seat.
- You need a cutting tool to cut the optimal length of the water pipe required.
- A tape measure is necessary as you have to measure the length of the water pipe you need.
- A rubber head hammer must be used because while repairing it will not damage your chair. You can also wrap the hammer in a piece of cloth.
- A marker is also needed to mark the point where you want to cut.
Methods used to repair the sinking office chair
To repair the sinking office chair two methods can be used. They are:
- Using a hose clamp
- Using PVC pipe
1st Method: Repair by using a hose clamp
It is the simplest method to repair the sinking office chair. You have to follow the following steps to repair the chair by using a hose clamp. Make sure that you adjust the height properly as you will not able to slide it down or up when using this method.
- Slide the plastic tube over the cylinder up or down until you see the metal cylinder. Almost all The office chairs have the sliding tube over the extendable cylinder.
- Now you have to select the preferred height. As you cannot the height again so perform this step carefully. The seat of the chair must be at the level of your knees when you are standing as it the actual height you need for your office chair.
- Now as you have a hose clamp you have to lose the screw of the clamp and wrap it around the metal cylinder. Keep patience and do not tight it.
- Finally, check that the grip of the clamp is tight as it has to hold the chair above with your weight.
- You should now check that the chair is at the exact height you want. Pull the hose clamp and start rotating its screw to fasten the clamp.
- You have adjusted the height of the chair now so if you still want to alter the height of the chair you can slide the clamp on the cylinder and fasten it by using a screwdriver for rotating the screw.
2nd Method: Repair using a PVC pipe
To use this method you want to buy a PVC pipe of the same or slightly larger diameter as compared to the extendable metal cylinder of your office chair. You can follow the following steps to adjust the height of your sinking office chair by using a PVC pipe.
- First of all, you have to measure the diameter of the metal cylinder by using a meter rule. For this, you have to pull down the plastic skirt that covers the metal cylinder. Keep the ruler horizontal while measuring.
- After measuring the diameter of the cylinder also measure the length of the cylinder when the chair is at the exact height you want.
- Now as you have the PVC pipe you should also wear a mask before start cutting it. Do not cut the pipe in one piece. You can make two or three small pieces to fit them on the cylinder as it will be easy for you.
- First, you have to cut the pipe according to the length you require. After that cut the pipe from tip to tip to fix it around the cylinder.
- After putting the pipe around the cylinder you need to have a slit that you have to push around the pipe. The slit will snap the pipe around the cylinder.
- You can also add another length of pipe to adjust the height of the chair.
Now you are done with everything and your office chair is ready to be used again.